Thursday, December 5, 2013

Hipster Wrestling #1

So I've been yelled at the past few days to write something, but THE MAN pays me in peanuts and I have a peanut allergy so I've been on strike. Well not really, I've just been lazy so here goes what I hope will be a weekly review on the latest "Hipster Wrestling" show I've seen. I've been told I watch "Hipster Wrestling" which I guess means all the indie and Japanese stuff that I get my hands on so I'll try to write my opinions & thoughts on a weekly basis because THE MAN tells me to.

This week's review will look at Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's "Matt Rushmore" show from October which recently got released. If you aren't familiar with PWG, you should get yourself familiar quick. It is often said to be the best indie promotion in the US right now and IMO, they put out a way better show than ROH which has been really lacking for me lately. The booking in PWG is fresh, the talent is great and the wrestlers just seem to enjoy themselves more which result in fantastic matches.
The current hot storyline in PWG is the formation of the super stable known as the "Mount Rushmore of Wrestling" consisting of PWG World Champion Adam Cole, PWG Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks and the uber popular Kevin Steen. They start the show with a promo ripping into everybody and pretty much explaining why they formed.

The card included the following matches:
1. PPRay ("Pretty" Peter Avalon & Ray Rosas) vs. B-Boy & Willie Mack
2. ACH vs. "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen
3. Best Friends (Chuck Taylor & Trent?) vs. AR Fox & Rich Swann
4. Brian Cage vs. Tommaso Ciampa vs. Anthony Nese vs. Drake Younger
5. Johnny Gargano vs. Roderick Strong
6. Tag Team Title Match - The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson - Champions) vs. Candice LeRae & Joey Ryan (Challengers)
7. World Title Match - Adam Cole (Champion) vs. Kyle O'Reilly (Challenger) 

Thoughts:
My favorite match of the night was probably the Tag Title match with the World Title match and Gargano/Strong a close second & third.

Johnny Gargano who PWG is building to be a top contender is easily one of my favorite guys on the US Indie scene. His match with Roderick Strong is just awesome and it is complete with a cool finishing sequence.

Joey Ryan & Candice LeRae, who feuded before in PWG make an awesome tag team. Candice LeRae is just one of the most badass women wrestlers out there and I'm glad she recently got a shot in TNA. Speaking of TNA, they seriously dropped the ball on Joey Ryan. CRAZY SPOT TIME!















If Adam Cole doesn't get signed to the E in the near future, I'll be mad. Haitch needs to sign him cause Cole's got the charisma and the ring skills. Only reason hes probably not already signed is because he's "just another small guy".

Verdict: 
Definitely get your hands on this show. If you need more convincing to get this show, just watch this excellent trailer from PWG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtu09serY6A

I seriously have no idea what I will write about next week. I'll figure it out though.
-GW

No comments:

Post a Comment